Sunday, June 19, 2011

Departing

June 18, 2011
11:47 PM

Scott and I have finally made it to the airport after an extremely hectic few weeks. Scott graduated from Harvard School of Public Health at the end of May, and I played hookie from medical school and surprised him in Boston with his family. That week was full of ceremonies, parties, and eating at all of our favorite restaurants. It ended with our frantically leaving Boston. Scott was literally moving out—getting rid of furniture, packing up kitchen accessories and appliances, and folding up two years’ worth of winter jackets—and we were packing up only hours before our flight. I was even selling furniture to a young college couple via Craigslist while trying to call our taxi to come take us to the airport.

You see, the thing about Scaudrey, is that we do everything last minute, and we love cramming. Yet, somehow we always get it done. I guess we just like living on the edge. (The reality is that Scott likes living on edge, and I am always freaking out that we are going to be late or forget something).

As I said before, the last few weeks have been crazy because on top of everything, I was also finishing up my first year in medical school and trying to study for the final Anatomy Exam. I think the whole class felt especially pressured for this last exam because our favorite professor, Dr. Leonard, was retiring, and we all wanted to make him proud. Between helping Scott move out of Boston and finishing up the school year strongly, I somehow had to prepare for Vietnam. And when it comes to me and preparing, I am a little neurotic. I can proudly say that my vaccinations are relentlessly up-to-date. When it comes to international travel, I need to make sure that we have every little thing and medication, which ends up with a $200 run to Target and 120 capsules of Pepto Bismol.

To top it all off, I also wanted to say good-bye to all of my family and friends. (Shout out to the SIBS, Ella, Dawn, and Rohan. We miss you).
Audrey saying goodbye to Koby
Needless to say, Scott and I finish packing at the very, very last minute. This means shoving everything on my desk into a tiny carry-on backpack and showering in 30 seconds, while trying to maintain some sort of sanity. In the midst of the chaos, I have to call the cellphone store to wait a few minutes past their closing time just so we can pick up our international cell phones at five after 7 pm.

We had a huge dinner and celebrated Father’s Day with my family, said our teary-eyed goodbyes, gave my dog, Koby, a big kiss, and now we sitting here, without iPhones and internet. The adventure has begun so-to-speak, or maybe it began when we were given the name “Scaudrey.”

-Audrey

How could you not miss that face?

4 comments:

  1. AHA!!!!! I am mentioned..... ignore the other comment ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Rohan not Mom.Hi guys have a good time!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you would like that, Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Rohan not Mom....Hi Audrey you did not use my name:( I miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete